Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Juror #5

Yes, that would be me. After winning the lottery yesterday (I was one of only 19 people sent home after 2 hours), I was "sat on a jury" today. And it might just be the most unrepresentative jury of all time--6 white mostly suburban women in their 20s and 40s. Ramsey County is pretty darn diverse, and they draw from voter, driver, and state ID records. So where are they hiding all the men and people of color?

Anyhoo, today we made it through jury selection and what I can only hope is half of the testimony. I would rate jury selection as fascinating, and your basic run-of-the-mill civil case proceedings as slightly more interesting than televised golf. I spent most of my time watching the judge, who has a terrible poker face. It's quite clear when she thinks an attorney is taking (or failing to object to) a stupid line of questioning or when she thinks a witness is a complete bozo. Plus there was much yawning and rubbing of her eyes (we're talking elbows on the desk, fingers stuffed behind glasses, vigorous rubbing).

I also spent about 30 minutes making a mental pro-con list on whether to make a bid for forewoman. I have visions of pulling a total 12 Angry Men.

No comments: