Thursday, July 19, 2007

Picking a horse

On Saturday, Maggie and Rachel showed me how to bet on the ponies at Canterbury. This was especially kind of Rach after she endured a day-long tour of the entire operations of the state agency that regulates horse racing. Seriously, ask me anything about regulating a racetrack--I have now seen it all.

While playing the ponies was fun and exciting, it got me thinking about the more daunting work of picking a candidate for president. While I am still smarting from the last few times state and federal Dems chose candidates (um, can you say Mike Hatch and John Kerry?), I am cheered greatly by the fact that I don't hate any of the current front-runners for president. But I am struggling to chose a favorite among them. Here's where I am right now--any thoughts on the matter are most welcome.

Johnny Boy
- As most of you know, I threw in with this guy early on last time and still do not regret it. While reading his billionth quote about"Two Americas" in the paper last week it hit me--his antipoverty stance must be totally sincere. Last time around an antipoverty platform helped catapult him to success (with some help from nice eyes, great hair, and a drawl). This year it is barely making headlines. If it wasn't sincere I think he would have changed tactics long ago. It's really too bad no one gets jazzed up about alleviating poverty, and there's the whole being a millionaire lawyer problem. But I can't help it, I still like the guy--and his politics. I can also tell you from personal experience that those caucus-going Iowans love good ol' Johnny Boy like he was their long-lost grandson.

Ms. Rodham
- I just have such mixed feelings about her. On the one hand she is the only front-runner with enough experience to really understand Washington. But this doesn't seem to help her get much done. I think she's a really smart lady, and am not ashamed to admit I'd vote for her solely because she is a woman (and it doesn't hurt that she's married to Billy). But I can't help feeling like she is the John Kerry of 2008--and given how much I thought he sucked as a candidate that comparison is really bringing her down in my book.

BaRock!
- I like that he's one smart dude, and the most Clintonesque well-spoken. Bonus points for being (somewhat) midwestern. I know they're all lawyers, but his particular focus on civil rights and constitutional law would be a good mix for a president. I'm marking him down on electability, though, because I think he is the Edwards of 2008. Even if he is qualified to be president, people will think he isn't and choose the "experienced" candidate who so totally lacks pizazz to the point where all a Republican has to do to win is walk upright unassisted.

So, there you have it. These early thoughts are obviously based on broad generalizations about the candidates--which would normally be enough to weed out a few folks this early in the race. But perhaps that won't work this year, and a closer look at policy positions is required. Too bad folks who run for national office typically avoid policy positions.

1 comment:

005 said...

Enjoyed the comments Abby. While your Johnny-boy's Kennedyesque looks could carry him a long way, I think he's already 12 lengths back and they're only half-way around the track.

It's a two horse race for rest of the dem primary. Both remaining horses have problems though: at this point Hillary must be close to whipping her horse ragged in regards to fund raising. Barack's horse has plent of pep left, but does it know which way to run? It'll be interesting. Could there be a dark horse in the field though? Biden?? I know one thing for sure - the Kucinich horse is way too short to win.

-Dave