Thursday, April 17, 2008

Credit!

So, having recently exercised my credit score to purchase a car, I thought I'd take the time to make sure the old credit report is in order. My cautionary tale: The car dealer initially offered me interest rates in the high 6% to low 7% range, which I thought was way too high. I told them I wouldn't accept anything above 5.5%. They came back almost immediately with rates below 5% and said the reason was my Equifax credit score (which they originally checked) was much lower than my other two scores (which they later used to get the lower rate).

As I suspected, the lower Equifax score was due to that damn hospital in North Carolina that delayed treatment for the worst food poisoning of my life because the admissions woman could not fit my entire DC address into the character limits of the patient information database. She finally got tired of my continuous puking into the bowl they had provided for this purpose, and clearly cut some corners to fit my address in. I never got a bill, they referred it to a collection agency that obviously didn't try too hard to contact me since my phone number is still the same. After discovering it on my credit report two years ago, I promptly paid the debt. And yet there it sits on my credit report making a relatively big difference in my ability to get a good loan.

When I last cleaned up my report two years ago, it was a tedious process. But government saves the day! The feds have since passed laws to make credit reports more accessible and to make closing accounts much easier. So, 20 minutes and some basic information about my current debts later, I just printed (well, actually CutePDF-ed) credit reports from all three major companies via this website.

The Equifax report is particularly useful because it describes how different elements of the report contribute to a credit score (and therefore how to avoid low scores). From one of the reports I also found this FTC brochure with more detailed information on managing credit reports (government strikes again!). I found the TransUnion report to be most helpful in cleaning up old accounts--it provides the full account number and phone number of the company holding the account.

My next project: a Target charge card my mom opened in both our names in 1998--still open.

7 comments:

anne said...

Apparently I'm also a nerd because I LOVE getting my free yearly credit reports.

And ps, I finally closed the US Bank accounts about a month ago.

In other news, you bought a new car? Post, please. :)

Maggie said...

thanks, I couldn't get the equifax link to work...but that might because because I'm at work. I'll try again at home.

Apparently I have a Kohl's card? Who knew.

Anonymous said...

Hey cutie!
I don't have a new car. Nor do I know how to manage paperwork very well. But as of march 26, I do have a PhD. Yay! Saw a picture of you in _Macalester Today_ (thus the "cutie" vocative). Hope all is well! ~Johanna

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Katie said...

I love annualcreditreport.com. Not to be confused with all the similarly named sites that try to charge you money for essentially the same thing. My personal information has been "lost" 4 times this year (Memorial Blood Centers, Administaff, MN Department of Commerce and the Military Officers Assoc) so needless to say, I've been keeping a close eye on my credit too. Congrats on the new car and low rate!

Educational Adventures - Project Travel said...

Ok. Hate mail for the Abster:
1) the oh snap April theme was for you. Yes, for you. And you didn't submit. Yes, I sent you emails about this as well.

2) so what if I played 7 games of backgammon in a day. I've done worse. I've done better. I don't need that kind of judgement.

3) thanks for the heads up on the credit report. I've never pulled mine, sure I'm in for a surprise.

4) yes, still love you.

=)

abigail emerson said...

Sarah, I'm an impartial member of the Oh, Snap voting public. If I submitted pics my votes would be tainted by self-interest!

And I was totally impressed by the 7 games of backgammon. If I had my druthers (yes, druthers) I'd play games nonstop.

But on a serious note, do you have my correct email address? I didn't get any emails...