Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Not my job

Few people really understand what I do for a living. But the sender of this email wins:
I didn't know who to contact regarding this question. As a state employee, do I qualify for a discounted price on an Apple computer? If you aren't the person who deals with this, could you please let me know whom to contact? Thank you.
What boggles my mind is how she got my email address in the first place. To connect my name with technology takes about 8 clicks and a good bit of scrolling on our website (and on the way it should become obvious that's not what we do). I tried some logical Google searches and none yielded my name. Lucky for her, finding answers to obscure questions is part of my job, so I passed her on to the right people. But for those of you who are keeping track, my job has nothing to do with the subject of this email.

While on the topic of technology, I would like to promote some great shareware called CutePDF. After a quick, free
download you can print to PDF from pretty much any word or data processing program. The output is a tad bit fuzzier than what you get from Adobe, but the price is right. It's the only shareware our IT folks let us use--so it must be the IT equivalent of kosher.

2 comments:

anne said...

Only you. This reminds me of the strange email you received at Wilder from the guy who wanted to know your favorite color and other important details of your life. (You should definitely post that if you still have it.)

It must be a digital extension of the 'tell me all about it' phenomenon.

abigail emerson said...

I do think I still have that. Brian sent it to me again a year or two later as a joke.