Thursday, October 23, 2008

Can I abstain?

I sincerely believe in the value of voting. Taking a stand, making a choice, representative democracy and all that. But I'm sitting here watching a recent debate with the Minnesota candidates for the U.S. Senate and I just don't want to vote for any of them.

I know this sounds terrible, but I honestly think I'm more qualified than all of them. That's not a good sign. And Norm Coleman is the only one of them that sounds like he has a brain on his shoulders. That's a really bad sign.

So if you want to feel my pain, there's a great website that breaks down the debate by question (so you can skip over the questions that don't interest you much and fast forward through the candidates you find annoying).

If anyone has compelling reasons to vote for any of the candidates feel free to share--I need some help here. So far the only one who has made a good pitch to me is the new Hillary Clinton TV ad in favor of Al Franken. It was such a clear textbook appeal to independents. They must be really worried about the Barkley factor.

2 comments:

Maggie said...

It's so funny that you posted this, because I have been feeling the same way. I've been meaning to email you to get any kind of inside information you might have to help make my decision. But apparently we're in the same place.

Anonymous said...

So Laura W tells me the Strib has endorsed Coleman. (The PP did too, but that's not a surprise).