Monday, August 13, 2007

That certain je ne sais quoi

I thought this commentary about the Minnesotan response to the bridge disaster was really well done. Starting with a quote from The Abyss, how could you go wrong?

Seriously, though, I don't think we're as idyllic as all that, but there is something indescribable about this place and its inhabitants. People try--and frequently fail--to capture it properly. I think this commentary comes closer than most to getting it right.
Photo courtesy of Letterboxing Minnesota

1 comment:

anne said...

I agree, well done.

I was watching a national news report the day after the tragedy and it was the first time I heard anyone talk about how remarkable it was that people helped - which seemed a little silly to me, and to the Minnesotan gentleman being interviewed, because I don't think most of us would consider reacting any other way.