Thursday, August 23, 2007

W(t)F

As most of you know, I loathe Wells Fargo. I bank there, because it's the only one that allows me to do all my transactions at SuperAmerica ATMs. Other than this unbeatable convenience, WF is evil. They have caused me all manner of problems--too numerous to count, really. Raising the minimum balance without notice then charging ridiculous fees, having an annoying computer call to verify charges every time I buy a plane ticket and blocking the transaction altogether if I buy from nwa.com, plus all the horrors of the phone bank. I realize it's my own damn fault for not changing banks, but I want to complain anyway.

Oh, and to top it off they're pretty much the number one predatory lender in America. (Plus they're snapping up yummy subprime mortgages at low rates as the less successful subprime lenders go under.)

But this is my favorite. Today I got a letter saying they have put a recent deposit on hold because: (1) doubt as to whether the check will be paid by the institution on which it is drawn, (2) length of time the account has been open, or (3) frequency of overdrafts or returned checks on the account. Yeah, so this check is drawn on the State of Minnesota (I can personally vouch for the fact that MN is good for it), deposited to a savings account opened in the early 90's, from which there have been (by dint of being a savings account) a total of zero overdrafts and returned checks.

Good work, team.

3 comments:

Katie said...

That's crazy! I was talking to someone a couple days ago who said that every time she calls the WF phone bank, she gets charged $2.00, even if the reason she is calling is because of something that was WF fault. I couldn't believe that.

Oh, and just because it's savings account doesn't mean you can't overdrawn it. I'm not saying that you ever have, probably because you are a normal logical person, but there are plenty who manage to overdrawn their savings accounts.

I recommend finding a small, local community bank. They are much nicer and most use someone else's ATM network, so you still have some flexibility with ATM deposits.

anne said...

The Phone Banker says: I certainly do understand your frustration and I would be happy to assist you in resolving this issue but, unfortunately, I am unable to speak to you for more than 65.2 seconds or I will be disqualified from receiving my quarterly bonus. Oh, and I'm also probably quite incompetent so I wouldn't be much help anyway. But we certainly do appreciate your business.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, Katie. I really should switch banks. I might have finally reached that place.

WF does charge $2 for most phone bank transactions. Luckily, being friends with the best phone banker ever I learned you can request (and usually get) the fee waived if you know enough to ask.