Monday, February 18, 2008

Follow up

I'm not dead: The scary voices upstairs were indeed MPR playing on the alarm clock, not someone waiting in a closet to kill me (I know, you're surprised). I was relieved, until I realized the clock/radio was turned off...and yet the voices continued. It was totally a Lost episode in my bedroom. I shook the clock a few times and water poured out of the speaker--leading me to believe certain cats had some fun with a certain half-empty glass of water on the bedside table.

I chickened out, sorta: I did not buy the neti pot. I could not get over the fear. One of the budget ladies convinced me that an Americanized nasal irrigation kit would be less intimidating. I bought one, I tried it, and it was terrible. The gross -ness, the water draining, the sensation--it was awful and I felt worse afterwards. I'm trying to convince myself to give it another go, but so far no luck. Rach, yes it was mostly that woman's vacant look that scared me away. Katie, any tips on how to make this work?

4 comments:

Rachel said...

I'm imagining Roommate using the neti pot, and that image is going to keep me smiling for awhile.

Anonymous said...

My mom SWEARS by her neti pot. Since she started using it, her number of sinus infections has decreased dramatically and she no longer has to take her allergy medication. I think it's worth it. You'll get used to the gross sensation, and your health will likely improve.

I say, suck it up and get started.

Katie said...

You definitely have to do a few times to get used to it. I admit that the first couple times were bad. It kind of burned. Start slow and just put a little salt in there. It works better right when the sickness is starting to come on when it's almost gone. When you are really stuffed up, it doesn't do much. It really does feel great though, after you get past the grossness. Is that a word? Grossness?

Anonymous said...

Katie, I think that's my issue--apparently it doesn't work well if you're in month 2.5 of a sinus infection. I'm keeping at it though, mostly because KC used her teacher voice.

Apparently neti pots are all the rage (or everyone at work is trading the same damn infection) because at one point today there were 5 people standing around the office discussing whether or not to purchase one.