Tuesday, August 19, 2008

What's with...

...all the shrink-wrapped vegetables at SuperTarget? Okay, maybe to hold the bell peppers on the foam tray and to keep the avocados from getting bruised. But today they had a huge bin of individually shrink-wrapped russet potatoes. You know, the big dirt-covered starch balls that can be used to bludgeon someone to death when swung in a sock. Does the shrink-wrap keep them authentically dirty?

...the busty, bikini-babe half-time show during the women's beach volleyball semifinal? Paul tells me they've had these bikini dances the whole time, but that was certainly the first one I caught a glimpse of.

...pole vaulting. Enough said. Oh, and trampoline. Enough, enough said.

FYI - I totally cried when they showed Shawn Johnson's parents tonight. Even though dumb MPR ruined the surprise for me this morning. Go USA gymnastics. I was truly proud to be an American tonight.

3 comments:

Rachel said...

Oh, I don't consider the Olympics the Olympics until I've had a nice good cry about them.

And, frankly, the commercials, too. The Visa "Go World" commercials are really getting to me. I hope That Guy got a nice big raise for dreaming those up.

anne said...

Shrink wrapped vegetables are more expensive.

Also, I'd like a little more of trampoline/kayaking/badminton/soccer and a little less swimming/gymnastics during prime time, please.

abigail emerson said...

Yes, the Go World one about Michael Phelps made me tear up a bit.

I have also been noticing a real lack of soccer during prime time. What's the deal? Is NBC unaware of soccer's runaway popularity in the US?