Sunday, May 6, 2007

The best speed

I know it sounds crazy, but I think 40 is the best speed to drive. Not because there is anything inherently great about traveling 40 miles per hour, but because everything good about driving comes together at that speed. I submit:

Roads with 40 mph limits are usually curvy with interesting sights, otherwise they'd be 50 mph

40 mph roads have fewer stoplights than slower roads and less traffic than faster roads

40 mph roads typically have multiple lanes or passing zones so you can get around the slowpokes

You cover ground quickly at 40 mph, but not so fast you miss the scenery

You can test this theory on Minnetonka Boulevard, Energy Park Drive, and the 40 mph segments of Highway 95.

4 comments:

Rachel said...

I agree about the 40 mph zones, but only because they allow for 45 mph driving, which I would argue is a little bit better than 40 mph. People who actually drive 40 are going too slow.

We drive too much to both know this stuff and to care.

Maggie said...

Seriously, Energy Park Drive is one of the best roads. I don't know why more people don't use it. But if they did, it would definitely lose its appeal.

trulybrilliant109 said...

The best speed is white crosses.

Anonymous said...

I agree! We all need to slow the f down. I commute everyday on the interstate, which I call the damn Autobahn, and i have anxiety about it before, during, and after. it sucks and people are nuts. 40 sounds good to me.