Sunday, April 1, 2007

Did that happen?

I was driving west on County Road C about 6pm today when a pedestrian darted across the road. Yes, we all know that all manner of things jump out at or otherwise attack me while driving. In this case, the ped ran like a maniac across three lanes (which contained no vehicles) but then slowed to a walk in the fourth lane (occupied by my vehicle). I began the usual internal rant about obnoxious peds, until I got a closer look at this one. Although the rainy weather made it difficult to see, I swear the ped was a man dressed as a woman. But I'm not sure. It all happened pretty fast, but I have an image of teased hair blowing in a manner that makes me pretty sure it was a wig, seriously penciled eyebrows, and whole lot of makeup--but then some very manly jeans, and an indescribable coat--big, puffy white with some furry thing on top. What makes me think this was a figment of my imagination is the location. That stretch of road has a massive field on one side and a refinery on the other. There is no good reason for a person to be crossing the road there--cross-dressing or otherwise.

So I don't know if it really happened, but if it did, then I think that was officially the first cross-dressing man I have encountered. This struck me as incredible, given the variety in sexual preferences and lifestyles among my friends (and the several cross-dressing females I have met), but I think it might be true. Anyone else remember a time when I would have encountered a cross-dressing man? Maybe at the Lucy's Way Gay Cabaret? (There was that time when I wore a pink ribbon in my hair and a man struck up a conversation looking for...oh, wait, that was someone else).

4 comments:

Rachel said...

Ah yes, my finer college summer days filled with working at the Minimally Invasive Care Center--a time period in my life that was clear foreshadowing of the intestinal problems that would plague both friends and family in the years to come.

Thanks for reminding me. Any votes for me returning to ribbons in my hair? I think it really added some much needed panache to my personality.

How about points for using "panache" in a blog comment?

trulybrilliant109 said...

I recall that you're hanging out with Spud and if that's not cross-dressing, then what is it?

anne said...

I was recently trying to explain to someone the phenomenon of all things attempting to hit you when driving. Cross-dresser definitely beats deer and wayward tire.

abigail emerson said...

Oh man, though, that tire was the ultimate. There we were, happily heading north to ski. We barely clear the northern suburbs when here comes this tire rolling across a million lanes of traffic, right for my car, like its entire purpose on this planet was to hit us. Anne, you would also recall the time a guy tried to jump off the 3rd ave/94 bridge onto my hood when we were driving back from Target. That's why I figured I might as well make a label for "driving adventures."