Tuesday, April 3, 2007

What the #$%@ is up with the USPS?

In honor of Anne's return to American soil, I had Chipotle for dinner today (sorry, man, I tried calling before I went). My local purveyor of burrito perfection is at the corner of Grand and Victoria. The trip gave me another opportunity to observe one of the stranger sights in St. Paul: a USPS mailbox painted like R2D2. Since this corner is also home to other budget ladies' fav lunch venues (Cafe Latte, Bread and Chocolate), I've had several chances to notice and be stymied by the box.

Tonight I finally decided to get to the bottom of this. I figured I'd go to the USPS website and dig around for awhile until I found the particular Star Wars-themed page that was mentioned on the box. Uh, no need to dig. Check this out: http://www.usps.com/. Does anyone else find it odd that they're tying ads for a supposedly futuristic movie series to the ultimate in outdated communication technology? Come on, George Lucas, you can do better than that.

4 comments:

anne said...

Oh, technology. I don't even need to return your phone calls now. I can just check your blog to see what it was that you wanted.

There's an R2D2 in downtown Minneapolis as well. My mom and I did one of those mother-daughter identical head turns when we walked by.

I'm just happy to have confirmation that the postal service is full of nerds - nothing against the Star Wars fans of the world, of course. :)

KC said...

hi, abby! i'm kc and i also went to macalester.

i have seen this mailbox! shef (he's 3) and i frequent bread and chocolate. we're talking maybe 2x a week. it's across the parking lot from daycare and equal parts blessing and curse.

by the way, is it just me or do those mac kids look extra crazy in the spring? i've become one of those angry drivers who don't stop for them on their stupid island on grand ave. "this is NOT a crosswalk," i mutter to myself. funny how things change.

abigail emerson said...

kc! i was going to post a comment on your blog recently as 'abby from macalester' but i think i got interrupted before i clicked "publish."

yes, i try to avoid that stretch of grand, but when i do go by i'm very conflicted about stopping. when i was a student i firmly believed that it was cross at your own risk, so cars shouldn't stop. however, it's inevitably some skinny freshman-looking girl with her nose in a book about philosophy who will literally get run over if i don't stop--so then i get all soft and stop for her.

have you had the panini and caesar deal at bread and chocolate? i'm a fan. not as good as the spread sampler at cafe latte, but you don't have to deal with the crowd.

KC said...

oh, i am totally partial to the spread sampler.

i'll have to give the panini a try, but I've got to be honest: i mostly do cookies at b&c. and an occasional fabulous fudge bar. i recommend.