Monday, April 9, 2007

Nerd moment: history walking tours

Tonight after happy hour at Pizza Luce, Anne and I took a walk around Seward. In so doing, we discovered the Milwaukee Avenue Historic District. As if there wasn't already enough to love about Seward, it also contains this absolutely gorgeous 3 block long pedestrian mall with immaculately restored row houses. This pic stolen from the Minnesota Historical Society doesn't really do it justice so you'll have to take a look for yourself. According to MHS this is the earliest example of a planned workers' colony in the city. A Gather.com post explains the neighborhood was built before 1900 by the Milwaukee Railroad, and was nearly torn down in the 1970s, but residents and architecture buffs restored the area so it could be added to the National Register of Historic Places.

As for the nerd moment portion of this post, while digging for information on Milwaukee Avenue I found a website for summer walking tours hosted by the Minneapolis Heritage Preservation Commission. Looks like they run several a month starting in May. So, who's going a-walking with me this summer?

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Abby,

I totally want to take a walking tour with you. That sounds excellent.

anne said...

Oh, beloved Minneapolis...

The walking tours are definitely a good thing to get excited about before 4 inches of snow - on April 10th.

April 10th.

ps- You're so efficient. And we both know that's one of the best compliments I could give you. :)

KC said...

seward is just across the river from me. you should do a walking tour in prospect park and visit the place where soul asylum started. that would be in my garage. also? leavitt? the economist that wrote freakonmics? He grew up across the street.

abigail emerson said...

kc don't get me started on how much i love prospect park! i came pretty close to renting a house near where rach tells me you live. i had no idea leavitt was a mn boy.

Rachel said...

Soul Asylum started in your garage?!? Dave Pirner graduated from Benilde...or at least that was the rumor from the crazy art teacher when I was there.

anne said...

Don't get me started on how much I love Leavitt!